Obtain­ing a work per­mit (for Non EU-Citizens)

Whether you are allowed to work in Ger­many depends on your Aufen­thalt­sti­tel (res­i­dence per­mit).
Your res­i­dence per­mit is in your pass­port. It affects the sta­tus of your Arbeit­ser­laub­nis (work permit):

  • EU cit­i­zens may work in Ger­many, look for a job or be self-employed with­out pri­or permission.
  • If you have not applied for a work per­mit via a visa in your coun­try of ori­gin, you must sub­mit an appli­ca­tion to the Aus­län­der­be­hörde (Aliens’ Reg­is­tra­tion Office) in Karlsruhe.

Please make an appoint­ment by phon­ing 115 or con­tact­ing the office online at: www.karlsruhe.de/b4/buergerdienste/terminvereinbarung.de

Ord­nungs- und Bürg­er­amt
Kaiser­allee 8
76124 Karl­sruhe
2nd floor

  • What should I take with me?
    Iden­ti­ty card or passport 
  • Con­fir­ma­tion of registration
  • What do I receive?
    Res­i­dence per­mit, res­i­dence per­mit for spe­cif­ic pur­pos­es or oth­er certificates